Manic Motherhood at it's FINEST!!

Why "I am NOT a VOLCANO!"

Why "I am NOT a VOLCANO!"
click the volcano for the due explanation
"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." — Gordon B. Hinckley
Exaggeration is the spice of life

Book I am Currently Reading: Peter and The Shadow Thief

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Winds Of Change

Last night, my husband and I were privileged to attend a session at the Jordan River Temple. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, we were able to go to an LDS (Mormon)temple where we could better feel the spirit of our Father in Heaven, and ask him specific questions (which we have been fasting about) about our family's future, and get answers to said questions.

Those of you who know us well also know that Brandon has been on the fast track (aka Slow Road) to Medical School at the University of Utah. It has been a hard knock trip for us since he decided that he wanted to become a doctor back in June of 2005. Many, many times he has changed his mind and decided to be something else, and each time we have ended up in the emergency room, thus spurring forward the saga of a married-with-children man who was 4-5 years behind his peers (due to an LDS mission and 4 years Active Duty in the United States Air Force) in becoming a PhD.

When we both were suddenly struck with the impression that perhaps the road we were on was about to fork and lead us elsewhere, I was kind of terrified. The last time we questioned Brandon's career choice, a television fell on my daughter and we spent a week in the PICU at Primary Children's Hospital. (Angels walk along the halls of that place.)

We decided to pray and fast about it and also to go to the temple.

Our answer came very quickly.

It seems, my friends, that my husband (and I) feel it would be better for him and for our family for Brandon to become a Seminary or Institute teacher as opposed to a Pediatrician. It was his plan to begin with, back when we were in High School, and when we were dating. Our life paths changed things. But we're back to the beginning. (Who says people never grow up to be what they wanted to be when they were kids?)

Still, we both feel very strongly that we did everything in our power to go where God led us- which means the military, and pre-med school and whatever else our family has muddled through. We don't always know the reasons we are where we are. We don't always know God's mysteries. But we have always had faith that we will end up where we should be. Even if the road is the scenic rout.




On another note, while sitting in the Temple's chapel, I opened the bible to Genesis 3:8-13, which reads:

8 And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden.
9 And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
10 And he said I heard thy voice in the garden, and i was afraid, because I was naked; and i hid myself
11 and He said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
13 And the Lord God said unto the woman, what is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, the serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.


OMG. Is this not hilarious? I mean, not the situation, but the classic case of "It wasn't me!!"? I see this EVERY DAY with my children.

Father comes to son, and confronts his mistake, and son immediately blames daughter. So Father confronts daughter, who blames the dog. (or snake, as it implies in the scriptures, though we all know he's not a snake at all, he is Satan.)

Anyway, I couldn't help but allow myself a small, quiet guffaw as I read this, even though a few people looked around at me in the silence of the warm, white walls of the temple.

Seems our Father knows what he's talking about, huh? When my kids are naughty and talk back and tell me no, and make each other do things that are not exactly within the bounds of our house rules- I think he understands. After all, we're all his CHILDREN, right? We do the same things. And he deals with US.

Hilarious, I tell you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...