Manic Motherhood at it's FINEST!!

Why "I am NOT a VOLCANO!"

Why "I am NOT a VOLCANO!"
click the volcano for the due explanation
"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." — Gordon B. Hinckley
Exaggeration is the spice of life

Book I am Currently Reading: Peter and The Shadow Thief

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pavlovian Pee Sticks.




So, we're trying to conceive (TTC.) That's no secret.

It's a long hard process.
I had my IUD out in October, and now it's April. I am already the mother of three death-defying children, and beautiful, entertaining and nerve wracking as they are, I happen to want another (several more, in fact, though I'll happily take them one at a time. Or two. But PLEASE not three.)


For the last six months, it's been ovulation tests twice a day, and pregnancy tests every day from 5 days before my missed period until old Aunt Flow shows up, all perky and red and completely disappointing.


Lots of money.


Lots of effort.


Lots of pee.


It's gross, I know, but every woman who has ever TTC has done it.


Do you remember Ivan Pavlov? If you don't, I'm sure you'll remember him when I relate his story. Pavlov's dogs are probably the best known example of Classical Conditioning ever.


Essentially, Pavlov discovered that dogs salivated naturally when presented with food (unconditioned response). What ended up as a significant phsychological breakthrough was that every time he fed the dogs he would ring a bell, and over time, when the dogs would hear the bell, weather or not food accompanied the bell, they salivated. (Conditioned Response.)


In many ways, I have become one of Pavlov's dogs. I have peed on so many urine-test strips that now, when I walk down the Feminine Hygene isle at the grocery store, where all those test strips lean outward, promising hope and a posetive answer, I immediately have to pee like a race horse. Even if i just went.


Yes. I have been conditioned.


~Sigh~

6 comments:

Snapshotsofhappiness said...

haha conditioned peeing! That's too funny.

Unknown said...

oh man! Sending baby dust your way!

liz said...

Oh goodness! Good luck!

MBC Scrapbooking said...

I have the same kind of Pavlovian reaction, only it's to cringe whenenever I hear the frappucino blender in Starbucks....when my daughter would still take naps in her stroller, my husband and I would have dates there and read while she slept, and the blender would always wake her up, ending our date. Now, I still cringe whenever I hear that noise:)

Hoping you are able to conceive soon!

Janae Moss said...

Ha! perfect. Hang in there, it will all work out! Just grab the depends behind you and let it rip!

Lourie said...

Now I have to go to the bathroom. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...